Raw Kale & Avocado Salad


This year in our CSA farm share, we received many heads of Kale.
Kale is a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties.
Many shy away from it because they have no clue how to prepare it!
I discovered an amazingly tasty way to prepare it raw. I first found this recipe HERE. The link leads you to the recipe and a video tutorial on how to prepare the recipe.
I will post the recipe with the ingredients I usually include below :
  • 1/2 head kale, shredded (curly kale is the best!)
  • 1/2 cup tomato, chopped (I've used heirloom in the above photo, grape and cherry are great too!)
  • 1/2 avocado (set some chunks aside to add after mixing.)
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon (give or take)
  • sea salt, to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
  • I like to top mine with raw sunflower seeds
  • other toppings to try: raisins, pine nuts, hemp seed nuts, sesame seeds, 1-2 sheets untoasted nori (snip up with scissors into little bits)

Preparation
In mixing bowl, toss all ingredients together. Mush everything together (with hands) to created marinated/wilted effect on kale. This makes it much tastier and easier to digest.

P.S. HERE is a very helpful website, for those times when you get a vegetable and scratch your head going "Whatever am I going to make with this!" Believe me, I said that quite often the first year we had our farm share! :)

No comments: