Foods of the World - Couscous

I cannot believe I've never posted this baby, it is sooooooo good! Plus, I have a wild passion for couscous. Obviously, I was already planning to make this, but I'm going to post this as my month's contribution to the World Foods thing. Sadly, there will be no pictures, until and unless someone wants to buy me a camera!

Chicken Cous Cous (I'm gonna go ahead and say it's from Morocco)

4 chicken drumsticks, skinned
4 chicken thighs or breasts, skinned
Lime sauce (recipe follows)
2 T olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth, warmed
2 T lime juice
3 carrots, sliced across (I frequently use a handful of baby carrots)
1 15oz. can garbanzo beans/chickpeas
1 14oz. jar artichoke hearts, drained
Couscous (cooked according to the directions on the box)

Spread lime sauce over chicken and set aside about 15 min. In large Dutch oven (I just use a regular stick skillet), heat oil to med. high temperature. Add chicken and cook about 5 min. Turn chicken; add onion and garlic stirring as chicken continues to brown, about 5 min. Pour chicken broth and lime juice over chicken; stir to loosen pan drippings. Add carrots and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20 min. Bring back to a boil, stir in garbanzo beans and gently place artichoke hearts across the top. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 min. more. With slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to warm serving bowl. Skim off any fat in pan, boil juices about 5 min and pour into gravy boat with spout (I usually skip this part unless I'm cooking for company).
To serve, mound couscous, top with chicken and vegetables and pour juice over all. (I find it particularly yummy to sprinkle a little cayenne pepper over the top)

Makes 4 servings

Lime Sauce:
In small bowl, mix together 1 T fresh lime juice, 1 t coriander, 1 t salt and 1/2 t each of ground cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and pepper.

No comments: