Heaven in a Cookie Sandwich

Photobucket

I first tried this cookie a year or two ago.  I didn't realize I hadn't posted the recipe here until I went to make them recently and they weren't here !!!  Time to remedy that !  I found this recipe on Every Last Cookie ... it's the blog of a girl who is baking her way through the Martha Stewart's Cookies book.  Grand idea, I say !


Photobucket

They are not difficult to make.  Really, the only thing different to making any other cookie is the extra step of putting the cream cheese icing between two cookies.  It is WELL WORTH the little bit of extra effort !  

She reckons this makes about 25 cookie sandwiches ... I don't think I've ever gotten 25, maybe I make them a bit bigger than her.

Here's how I did mine ...

For the cookies ...
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar (this is just regular white sugar)
225g (1/2 lb) butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 and 1/2 cups finely grated carrots (if you have a food processor, use it !)
1 cup raisins

For the cream cheese icing ...

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

I used my electric mixer to combine sugars and butter 'til they were light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until well combined. 

In a separate bowl - sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger together.  Stir.  Gradually add this mixture to the butter mixture.  Mix on a low speed until just blended.  Mix in oats, carrots and raisins.  Chill in fridge til firm, at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line baking sheets with whatever you use to keep the cookies from sticking.  I like baking paper ...

Using a 1/2 ounce ice cream scoop, or a spoon, but the ice cream scoop makes it super easy, scoop dough onto baking sheets.  Bake between 12 and 15 minutes till lightly browned.  Transfer to wire rack to cool. 

While the cookies are cooling, make your icing.  Mix all ingredients until smooth and well blended.

Once cooled, spread one cookie with icing and then top with another cookie.  And that's it ! 

No comments: