Tomatoey Spinach and Couscous Bake

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Found this recipe on a new blog that I've recently discovered called The Naked Kitchen.  I was going to make it just the way the recipe called for but it had some specialty ingredients that I didn't have, a few steps I thought unnecessary and I thought it could use some mushrooms.  So ... here is my version.  

Ingredients:
1&1/4 cups dry whole wheat couscous
2 cups water
Panko Breadcrumbs (I didn't measure but I'd say it was less than 1/4 of a cup)
5 cups raw baby spinach leaves, (I roughly chopped mine but that's personal preference)
2 cans (400g each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
olive oil, for sauteing 
fresh oregano, basil and parsley ... a handful or so of each, washed and chopped
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
salt, a couple of pinches
3 sliced mushrooms ... unless your kids love 'em and then you can use more.  (mushrooms are the one thing that both of our kids despise and I often, but not always, take pity on them and do half with, half without ... tonight was one of the times I decided to go half and half.)


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

What you do:

Preheat your oven to 350F/180C 

Saute onions and garlic in a blub of olive oil til onions are soft and beginning to be see through. Add cans of tomatoes, juice and all.  Add herbs.  Cook maybe 8 - 10 minutes, til sauce has reduced and thickened just a little bit.  Add spinach and stir through sauce ... remove from heat.  This is just to get the spinach to wilt a little bit. 

While the onions and garlic are sauteing, put the water in a separate pot over high heat and bring to the boil.  Add couscous and a pinch of salt, give the pot a little shake to stir it, cover and remove from heat.  Let sit a few minutes, fluff with a fork and set aside.  

Mix couscous and tomato mixture together in a baking dish.  Lay mushroom slices flat (if using).  Top with cheese and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Bake uncovered 25 minutes (or til cheese is melted and starting to brown).  Serve hot.


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

No comments: