Super Healthy Chicken-Vegetable Soup




Diets often equal bland, boring food...but the new diet that we've been exploring is MUCH better than normal and it works! (for those interested it's called the 17 day diet...there's a book).

I modified this soup recipe from one found in the diet book.

NOTE: I don't really measure the ingredients...just try and make a BIG pot of soup that's pretty balanced ingredients-wise.




Super Healthy (and YUMMY) Chicken-Vegetable Soup

Lightly salt and pepper 1 package of chicken breasts (we often use chicken breast tenders). Grill until just done (I think I do about 3 to 4 minutes per side). Dice into small chunks.

Large chop the following veggies: (large chopping the veggies make this soup super fast to throw together)
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 3 to 5 large carrots
- 1/2 bag of frozen, chopped okra (I've discovered that not all frozen okra is alike...the okra from Safeway seemed slimier)
- 1 to 2 large onions
- 4 to 5 celery heart stalks with leaves
- 1 bulb of garlic (or less as desired...I leave them mostly whole...just slightly crush them)

Using approximately 1T of olive oil, I saute the garlic for 1 minute before adding the onions. Then add the carrots and celery and continue to saute for another couple of minutes. Add remaining veggies.

Add the following ingredients:
- 4 to 5 cans of chicken broth
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- bit of white pepper (or pepper of choice)
- coriander, celery salt, and cumin to taste

Cover and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer for one hour or until veggies are done to your liking.

Once the veggies are cooked, add the chicken.

We keep this soup in the fridge all week to have for lunches or snacks.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

What effect would it have on the soup if I omitted the celery (ewww !!) and the okra ? I was thinking I could maybe replace them with Asparagus ?? And maybe add mushrooms. What do you reckon ??

Mrs. Wallace said...

I think asparagus would be yummy. The okra...I think AK said they might be called Lady Fingers in your lang :-)...is not my favorite, but I LOVE IT in the soup. Not sure how the mushrooms would do, but give them a try and let us know how it works :-)

Kath said...

I reckon that it will then be named "Super Healthy Chicken-Vegetabes Soup, variation 1"! Celery and okra are veggies that hold up to the reheating. Not so sure about the asparagus. Celery adds fiber and taste (not much nutrition), the okra adds a richness to the broth as well as whatever nutrition there is. I would eliminate the celery before the okra. Mushrooms are always a great addition, to almost anything, in my opinion!

Kath said...

How's that for the two of us helping you come to no conclusion at all!!!!!