Pita Bread

My mother in law posted this to her blog ... I have cut and pasted it in it's entirety so we can try it ... who will do it first and post a photo ?? I'm going to try it with Khrista's Chicken Souvlaki !! I think it might just answer my pita prayers !!

Pass The Beans Please: Chicken Souvlaki

This is a marvelous recipe especially since I can no longer buy the quick fix ingredients in the supermarket. Thank you so much for this great blog, girls.

Have you ever tried to make your own Pita bread? I use two cups of plain flour, the required amount of dried yeast, one cup of slightly warm water and mix. Roll on to floured surface and kneed for 10 minutes.

When you have a nice elastic dough ball, put in the bowl, cover with plastic, and leave in a warm place to rise for abut 30 - 40 mins. (In a warm climate and warm day less time.)

When it has doubled in size punch down the dough onto a surface and break into 6 or 8 balls.

Roll each one with a rolling pin till it is flat and about the size of a small saucer. Place on baking paper on a tray. (heat oven to 365deg. F or 185 C). Let the flat cakes rest till they rise a little like flying saucers.

Place in the oven for up to 10 minutes. They should puff up like a pocket. Don't over cook.

Remove from oven and make a small cut in the edge on one side. The deflated pocket is excellent for any Pita purpose!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'd love to try this...any hints on how much yeast to use though??