Chicken Souvlaki


I tried a new recipe tonight and it is FOR SURE going in my "tried and true" recipe binder!
Here is the original recipe from Cooking Light with my modifications in red.

Chicken Souvlaki
4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)

* 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese (I used tomato basil crumbled feta)
* 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt (My favorite brand is Greek Gods)
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
* I added the juice of half a lemon to the dressing as well...gave it a nice zing!
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
* 1 1/4 teaspoons bottled minced garlic, divided (I used fresh, minced garlic)
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 2 cups sliced roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast (I grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts on the BBQ, seasoned with coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper.)
* 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half (There is a place in town that sells FRESH baked pita bread, SO yummy!)
* 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce (I used a nice spring lettuce mix you can buy pre-washed and packaged at the grocery store.)
* 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
* 1/2 cup chopped plum tomato
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (I omitted this as onions do not sit well with me in this pregnancy!)

Combine feta cheese, yogurt, dill, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic in a small bowl, stirring well. (This is where you would add the juice of half a lemon, if you were so inclined.)

Heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and oregano to pan, and sauté for 20 seconds. Add chicken (Again, I grilled the chicken on the BBQ, sliced it thin, and then added it to the oil, garlic, and oregano) , and cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Place 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each pita half, and top with 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture, 2 tablespoons shredded lettuce, 1 tablespoon cucumber, and 1 tablespoon tomato. Divide onion evenly among pitas.

This was absolutely tasty! I will be making it a lot this summer!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

yum yum yum yum yum !
i need to check my favorite specialty shop and see if i can get some good pita bread. that's always my problem with this meal ... if the bread isn't good, the meal isn't either. i often just substitute flour tortillas. a god tortilla is better than a bad pita !!