Pecan Pie Bars - Veganized :)

There was such a buzz among The Beans Blog fans today about these Pecan Pie Bars!
As soon as Bonnie posted a link to them I printed the recipe out and made them within an hour.
It's time for me to grocery shop again and the pickins are kinda slim around here.
But, I DID have pecans thank goodness! All the items I had on-hand happened to be vegan as well.
I will add my substitutes where applicable. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical because I LOVE butter and almost always have it on-hand. But I can testify that these are AMAZING!
Go make them NOW! :)


Pecan Pie Bars
Makes 1- 9x13-inch pan
About 24 bars
Recipe found HERE

1 1/2 sticks* unsalted butter (I used Earth Balance sticks)
2 cups AP (plain) flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz pecans (about 2 cups) (Organic TEXAS pecans! Mmm!)
1 stick* unsalted butter (I used Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, because I ran out of the sticks...slim pickins remember? ;)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup honey (I used Organic Raw Blue Agave)
2 tbsp half and half I (I used almond milk) **

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut butter into 1/2-inch pieces. In a food processor, process the first four ingredients (butter through salt) until mixture begins to form small lumps. Sprinkle into a 19x13x2-inch pan and with a metal spatula, press evenly onto bottom. Bake shortbread in the middle of the oven until golden, about 20 minutes. While shortbread is baking, prepare filling.

2. In a food processor, coarsely chop the pecans. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and stir in brown sugar, honey and cream. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.

3. Stir in pecans. Pour pecan mixture over hot shortbread and spread evenly. Bake in the middle of the oven until bubbling, about 20 minutes.

4. Cool completely in pan and cut into 24 bars. Will keep, covered, for 5 days at room temperature.

* for the Aussies ... 1 stick of butter = 113g. (and 1.5 sticks of butter = 170g)
** note from Bonnie ... I used evaporated milk.

No comments: