Pastina in Brodo

Photobucket

This is a favorite from my childhood.
I hated soup as a child.
I loved this soup.

I don't know if I made it the way my Mom made it but I loved this.
Alia requested it for her night ...

Photobucket

I started with a 2L box of salt reduced chicken stock. Added to that 4 cups of water (next time I think I'll add about 6 or 8 cups ) and 3 tsp of chicken stock powder (you could use boullion/stock cubes too). Threw in a carrot, 3 big cloves of garlic and a quartered red onion. Salt and Pepper too. Brought that to the boil and then let it simmer til I had finished the other parts of dinner ... 30 minutes ? an hour ? I then removed the veggies, added the pastina (tiny star shaped pasta that I've found in whole wheat !) and boiled til the pastina was cooked. Served in bowls, topped with parmesan cheese.


3 comments:

Kath said...

It sure looks right!!!! How did it smell? Of course, with those ingredients it smelled heavenly, but did it smell right? Mom (that's me!) made it by dissolving Brodo cubes in boiling water, throwing in the pasta, shredding the cheese, serving in 15 minutes or less! Brodo is the Italian word for broth, do you have an Italian grocery? I haven't made this in a long time, it sounds yummy!

Sabba and Nanny said...

I love this stuff, too. We can't get the Brodo here. Glad you can.

andrafaye said...

Now I want to find an Italian grocer and buy some brodo cubes! I'm surprised there isn't one somewhere around Denver...I'm going to have a look around here tomorrow.