Homemade Ketchup


Photobucket

This does not taste like Heinz ... not one bit. But, Jono, who is EIGHT, says it tastes better. Rory and I thought it tasted like a chutney. I took a few recipes I found on line and mashed them into this one recipe that I will share with you today. Simple process. Great outcome. But ... don't expect Heinz. Expect better ...

1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, whole smashed
6 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup palm sugar, grated
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup vinegar
10 whole cloves
2 whole star anise
1 tsp salt


Throw all ingredients into a pot. Cover, medium heat, simmer 45 minutes. Throw in blender and blend until smooth. Strain if you are worried about fennel/star anise bits. I wasn't worried. This will thicken more in the fridge.

6 comments:

Liz M. said...

you lost me at fennel. But three cheers for mastering another unprocessed staple!!

Chef, Interrupted said...

Well, you had be before fennel. And you completely won me over with that listed as the first ingredient!

Homemade ketchup, here I come...

Chef, Interrupted said...

Uh, that's had ME before "fennel." :)

andrafaye said...

what are you serving it with bonnie?

Bonnie said...

Andrea ... I served it with this ... with a few modifications ...
http://disgustinglygood.com/2010/04/15/chicken-strips-honey-mustard/

andrafaye said...

Ooooooh my goodness!