McClaines Potato Salad

This is another recipe that I had posted on my other blog that is now private so am bringing over here. Full of sour cream and mayo so not especially healthy ... but very very yummy.


--1/3 cup Italian salad dressing (as you practice with this recipe you can see if you want a bit more...I usually measure out 1/3 cup and then douse in a few more shakes)

--7 medium potatoes, cooked in jackets, peeled, chopped into cubes, makes ~6 cups (the key is taking the jackets off while the pots are still hot...I use a fork to hold the hot potato and a sharp knife to peel)

--3/2 cup sliced celery (optional...J. hates the celery, so a lot of times she and I leave it out)

--1/3 cup sliced green onion or regular onion (I'm not sure when I put green onions in...usually I put the regular...mom leaves them big chunks, I like them really little...adds the flavor without an overwhelming bit of onion)

--4 hard boiled eggs

--1 cup mayonnaise (real is best)

--1/2 cup sour cream (KEY...don't skimp)

Pour Italian dressing over warm, cut potatoes; chill 2 hours (best if chilled over night...you can cook the pots and put them in the fridge over night to marinate then throw it together the next day...the marinating is the secret to this amazing potato salad).

Add celery and onion.

Chop eggs; add.

Mix mayo and sour cream; fold gently but thoroughly into salad.

Add salt and celery seed to taste (I ALWAYS skip this step...but if you taste it and think it needs it, go for it).

Chill until serving. (If you've only chilled the pots for 2 hours, then chill the finished salad another 2 hours before serving)


No comments: