Lumpiang Shanghai or Spring Rolls

Photobucket
(Photo of Bonnie's attempt at making Nanette's Lumpiang Shanghai !)

It is of Chinese origin (originally called lunpia) and was brought to the Philippines by Chinese immigrants from the Fujian province. In the Philippines , lumpia is a commom menu during celebrations and feast. Here's the recipe.

2 lbs ground pork
1/2 cup green onions (finely chopped)
1 cup carrots (finely chopped)
1 cup onion (finely chopped)
2 tsp soy souce
1 raw egg
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
Lumpia wrapper (spring roll skin) you can buy this in any asian store. I used Menlo that's the brand name.
cooking oil for frying
Hot and sweet tomato chili sauce (for dipping)

COOKING PROCEDURE:
1. In a big bowl, mix all the ingredients pork, onion, carrots, green onions, salt, soy sauce, ground pepper and raw egg.
2. wrap the mixture with the lumpia wrapper.
it is the same in how to wrap a burrito.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat until hot, then turn it to low heat. Fry the rolls in batches until browned, adding for oil ass needed. Serve hot with sweet and sour sauce or hot and sweet tomato chili sauce.



4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Nanette !! I see you worked it out !! I love it !! I am going to try making your lumpia this week !! I am just getting ready to plan my menu and this will for sure be on it ! Yum ! Yum ! Yum !

I added your email address into the blog so that you will receive these comments and the new posts in your inbox. It is an easy way to know who has commented on your posts. But, you will get the comments from all the posts. Let me know if you do not want to receive either the comments or the postings and I can remove your address !

I'm so excited that you are posting Nanette !!!

Kath said...

I can tell you that these are DELICIOUS! I just ate some last Friday evening! Bonnie, something I watched Nanette do that was different from the time I tried to make lumpia is that she fried hers in only about 1/2 inch of oil and turned them often. I deep fried mine, and that was a disaster!

And I welcome you too, Nanette!

Bonnie said...

Good to know ! Thanks Mom. I have fond memories of lumpia. I remember eating them in Spain ... at school functions ! I remember on time coming into a classroom and it was full of ladies making lumpia !! Lots of ladies ! Lots of tagalog !! Lots and lots of lumpia !!!

Bonnie said...

I'm going to try making this on Wednesday Nanette ! Along with the Pancit Guisado ...

Is the hot and sweet tomato chili sauce something you buy or did you make it ? I'm not sure I've seen it here ... do you think I could make something similar ?