Donna's Buttermilk Biscuits {but} Whole Wheat



My friend Donna gave me my first ever biscuit recipe a few years ago. I used to make them quite often. I've been trying to find a good whole wheat dinner bread roll but I'm just not keen on kneading and rising time and all that ... I need quicker and less effort for the life we lead ! I am so glad I decided to give this recipe a bit of a tweak to fit in with our whole unprocessed journey because these biscuits are the answer to my dinner roll dilemma !! They are quick, easy and most of all TASTY !!!

Here's my modified recipe ...

If you want to use white flour, just use 2 cups flour.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 TBLS gluten flour - put it into a one cup measure and then fill the cup the rest of the way with whole wheat spelt flour. Does that make sense ? (If you eat gluten free, maybe try the whole 2 cups with the whole wheat spelt flour !)
1 TBLS baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Do you know how to cut butter in ? I will have to show you another 'favorite gadget' next time I make these. I never knew how to cut in butter ... nor did I know about this gadget til I made these the first time. So ... you cut in the butter til the butter is pea size. Then add the buttermilk. Put it onto a floured surface. I sort of push it down to 1/2 inch thickness and then use my biscuit cutters (also had to buy those to make these the first time !!) and put the cut biscuits onto baking sheet (I line mine with baking paper). Bake in 400F/200C oven for about 15/20 minutes ... depending on your oven. Mine seems to run hot so I check them after 10 minutes, they usually take 15 but I always check because burned biscuits are not so nice. I just break one in half and make sure they are not wet in the center ... that's my best way to tell you how to check !


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm SO trying this! I haven't found a good biscuit that I haven't had to knead, so this is a great find! Thanks for sharing...(and, I haven't forgotten about posting to my blog - the time has been soooo limited!)