Bonnie's Breakfast Smoothie

I started making this smoothie using the Magical Breakfast Blaster recipe that I saw on Oprah, way back when I had the time to watch TV !
~
I have modified it quite a bit though so here is my recipe ... you can modify it to suit your tastes and nutritional requirements !
~
Ingredients:
1 banana
a handful of frozen blueberries
soy milk ( maybe 1 cup ?)
a handful of ice
cinnamon ( to taste, I probably use a tsp or a little bit more)
vanilla ( again, to taste, I probably use 1/2 tsp ?)
pyllium husk ( I use a dinner spoon full)
flaxseed (linseed) meal (1 tbls)
a handful of fresh baby spinach leaves
sometimes I add about 1/4 cup of fruit juice for a different flavor but not usually

Throw it all in the blender together. It will look something like this !
~

Blend. Pour into a glass and drink.
I love this ! For many reasons. Let me tell you them!

1. I can take it with me. Often, I make it, put it in a take away coffee mug with a lid and a straw and drink it on the way to dropping Jono at school. This keeps me from skipping breakfast ... something of which I have been a lifetime ( after my mom stopped making my breakfast ! ) offender.

2. It is nutritious ! Two serves of fruit. Blueberries are full of antioxidants ! Psyllium for fiber. Flaxseed for my Omega 3 and 6. Cinnamon is an anti-inflammatory. Spinach ...well, it's one of the foods you should eat heaps of and I get it every day at least once when I'm making these smoothies. Soy Milk for protein. And Banana ... I don't know what's good in a banana but I do know that I LOVE THE FLAVOR !!!! Potassium ... they have potassium, right ?

3. The kids love it. I often double the recipe so they can have a glass too !

4. It can be modified to suit tastes or nutritional requirements. Rory doesn't like the psyllium or flax in his. Says they are too earthy. The flax will thicken it so make sure if you are putting flaxseed meal in it that you drink it straight away. Don't let it sit for 30 minutes like Rory did !

Give it a try ... I'd love to know what you think. Of course, many of you are just coming into winter but here in Australia we've just passed the first day of SUMMER !! Smoothie season !!



1 comment:

Liz M. said...

true story how it thickens! i once tried to be super efficient and make it the night before so i could just grab it on my way out the door...by morning, it had GELLED!