The Great Aussie Burger


I got this recipe from a Coles (grocery store) junk mail flyer years ago. In my quest for the perfect burger ... this is the best I've found. My only qualifications are:
1. It tastes good.
2. It doesn't fall apart !!!

Ingredients:
500g (1lb) mince (ground beef)
1 small onion, very finely diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbls chopped parsley or choice of fresh herbs
1 large egg
1 and 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
2 teaspoons seeded mustard
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (just put a couple of slices of bread ... I use the ends ... into your food processor ... process for a few minutes and voila ... bread crumbs !!)

Combine all ingredients and season.


Shape into burgers. The recipe says it makes 4 burgers but I got four big burgers and 4 little burgers out of it.


If you are like me and hate getting raw meat on your hands ... make sure you put your latex gloves on. You know, like at the doctors office ? I keep a box of those under my sink !!!

I made these in the afternoon while I had the mince out for my big cookup. I covered and put them into the fridge til we were ready to eat. Doing them ahead of time always makes them that little bit better ! When you are ready ... BBQ burgers. Serve. EASY !! And they are sooo yum. We haven't had burgers in ages ~ man were they a taste sensation !!

The photo above has my burger topped with ketchup, mustard, mayo, cheese, onions sauteed on BBQ, tomato and dill pickles. Usually we have lettuce and avocado as well but I forgot to buy them ! DUH !! And if you want to go really Aussie ... sliced beetrooot (beets) from a can !! AND Rory put a fried egg on his as well.


5 comments:

Liz M. said...

looks delicious, but what is farlic? lol!

Bonnie said...

ha ha ! I, obviously, didn't notice that !!

farlic (v.) - to lick from a great distance.

Kim said...

The farlic definition is totally something me and my boyfriend would do.

Love it! That and the burger looks yummy!

andrafaye said...

Looks a lot like what Gareth does when he makes burgers...he always adds worchestersire sauce and whatever other spice or herb he feels like!
But I have to admit they are always tasty...as the American way usually is just the meat with some nominal spice sprinkled on top...needless to say he always gets rave reviews when he does up the burgs.
Also...he calls the hamburger meat mince or mince meat as well...South Africa has quite a few similarities with Australia I am coming to find out!

andrafaye said...

...also i have a big box of gloves in my pantry as well...for when i make sausages...the hog casings are just too much...my imagination gets the best of me...