Dahl - Spinach and Pumpkin

I loved this !! So easy. I got it out of a free magazine that I picked up at the health food store but I ( as I do ) changed it a bit while I was cooking it !
  • olive oil ( for sauteeing)
  • 1 onion, chopped fine
  • 2 (or more !) cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger - grated
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 400g pumpkin ( butternut squash in the states ?) - bite sized pieces
  • 3/4 cup red lentils
  • 250g ( box) frozen spinach
  • 1/4 cup fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
  • 3 cups water
  • pinch sea salt
  1. Saute onion, garlic, ginger and spices in oil 5 minutes - stir constantly. Add pumpkin, lentis, spinach, coriander, salt and water. Cover and simmer 1 hour. I set my timer and came back to stir it every 10 minutes. ( was necessary ! )
  2. Serve with rice and poppadams. ( how do you spell that !!?? )

4 comments:

Kath said...

So, does the pumpkin taste go away? It will have to be invisible in order to be a go at our house when everyone is home.(!) And for the information of the Americans reading this, you can buy what is called cooking pumpkin in the grocery store, and sometimes something called "kabocha pumpkin" which is green on the outside, shaped like a small pumpkin (don't confuse it with acorn squash)but orange and definitely a pumpkin on the inside. I put it in quotes cause it cracks me up whenever I see it in the store. Kabocha is the Japanese word for pumpkin, so the sign is advertising "pumpkin pumpkin"!

Khrista said...

what is poppadams? I imagine it's the item in the picture that is not rice or the dahl... :o)

Liz M. said...

I was a little disappointed by this dish, it was really bland. I used fresh ginger and it smelled really good, but it just didn't have very much flavor.
Did I do something wrong?

Bonnie said...

Jill ... I had a look at the recipe to see if I'd put in the right measurements of stuff. I had. I didn't find it bland but it wasn't overly spicy either. The recipe says that the maker deliberatly kept it light on the spices since she was making it for kids. Maybe, if you decide it's worth trying again, you should up the spices ... add a few more even to spice it up a bit ??