Crock Pot Honey Chicken

 photo 1909A2C1-719E-4617-A513-86A525DB59EC-14482-0000076AA2743076_zps33fb0d6e.jpg 
As with so many of the recipes I try these days, I found this one on pinterest.
I didn't really change much. 

1 kg chicken breast, no bones, no skin
salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 onion, diced
4 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoon olive oil
garlic, minced (to your liking ... I did about 4 cloves)
pinch red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons cornstarch
sesame seeds

Sprinkle chicken lightly, on both sides, with salt and pepper, and lay in the bottom of the crock pot.

Mix honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through. I didn't have a heap of time and did it on high.  It was great but I'll try it on low next time to see if there is any difference.

Take chicken out of the crock pot, leaving the sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce.  Cover and cook sauce on high for ten minutes or until slightly thickened.
Cut chicken into bite size pieces, throw back in crock pot.

Serve over rice, with a drizzle of the sauce and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

I served baby green peas on the side ... I think steamed broccoli would go well too.

No comments: