Chai

It got unseasonably cold here recently, so we wanted something warm to sip by the fire. I came across this recipe in an Indian cookbook I have that I've never used. If the deliciousness of this recipe is any indication of the others, I will be using this book a LOT! I did cut down the amount of cloves and cardamom as I am easily overwhelmed by the latter and not overly fond of the former. I also left out the 1 T fresh ginger called for as I didn't have any. This is the version I used:

Chai*

3 cups water
2 sticks cinnamon
7 cardamom pods
7 whole cloves
3 T black tea leaves
1 cup milk
3 T sugar

In a medium saucepan, bring water, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves to a boil.
Turn off heat, add tea, and cover pan. Let stand for 3 minutes.

Strain liquid into another saucepan. Add milk and sugar.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

As soon as tea begins to boil (or you lose patience and figure it's hot enough,
whichever comes first), pour into cups.

Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

this smells ... i mean, looks delicious !!!