Rory's Carbonara

This is a favorite around here ...

My husband Rory made this recipe up when he was studying at University. Every Friday night he would have this carbonara and a bottle of wine for dinner ....

~

I love it because it is equally as easy as it is yummy. I keep most of these things in my house so usually just have to buy the bacon if I haven't got any in the freezer.

~

We had it last night ... needed something I could cook without thinking. You Mom's know how that goes right ? Sick kid ... long day ... what to do for dinner ?!?! Plus, Jono said he would like to have bacon for dinner ... perfect meal for all of us !!

~

The Recipe ....

Ingredients:

  • bacon - roughly 250g (1/2 lb) - chopped
  • 1 onion - chopped
  • garlic - slivered ( you can put as little or as much as you like. I use a whole head of garlic when I make this but we are HEAVY on the garlic eaters !! )
  • fresh rosemary - 1 or 2 sprigs
  • pasta - I like vermicelli or thin spaghetti. Rory likes fettucine. The kids like spirals.
  • parmesan cheese

Put water on to boil. Cook pasta. (when finished, drain and run under a bit of cold water so it doesn't stick together)

While pasta is cooking. Put a bit of olive oil in a frying pan - or you can leave it out if your bacon makes lots of grease. Cook bacon 'til almost done ( we like it crispy but you can do it to your desired taste ! ) Add garlic and chopped rosemary. Cook 'til garlic is just starting to brown. Add onion. Cook 'til soft.

Put pasta back in pan (or in serving dish). Add bacon mixture. Add parmesan cheese. We probably add a cup - at least. Mix to coat. Serve with salad and nice bread.

Rory has been known to add black olives and/or sliced mushrooms to this dish as well.

~

EVERYONE in our little family LOVES this meal ! No complaints !

3 comments:

Stacy said...

What??? You mean bacon isn't healthy? ;) I still need to try this one. I can't believe you use a whole head of garlic, though. Wow! :)

Amy said...

Ooooo Bonnie.. this looks amazing!!

Khrista said...

I forgot how much I LOVE this simple dish! We had it tonight! An old favorite for sure!