Lentils for Lunch


This was a very acceptable way to eat lentils !
~
The original recipe was from a Woolworths Fresh Magazine and was called Lentil Wraps. I modified it and I'm going to post my modified version.
~
3 slices multi grain bread, roughly chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp turmeric
2 X 400g cans of lentils, drained, rinsed
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 tbls multigrain flour (or whatever flour you have on hand)
Lebanese or lavash bread, to serve
(The original recipe also called for hummus and tabouli to serve, I used neither.)
  1. Process bread in a food processor until breadcrumbs form. Put one cup of breadcrumbs into a large bowl.
  2. Heat oil in a frying pan over med heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cumin and turmeric and stir until well combined. Cook for 1 minute. Cool.
  3. Add lentils, coriander and onion mixture to food processor. Process til well combined. Transfer to bowl with breadcrumbs. Add egg and flour and stir until combined. Original recipe said to make 16 small patties and fry them. I just dumped the whole mixture into a med hot fry pan and cooked, turning often, til it was a bit crispy ... but not too much so.
  4. If you are using the hummus, spread it on your your bread and top with tabouli and 4 lentil patties ( if you did the patties ! ) I put sliced tomatoes, fresh baby spinach and sliced red bell pepper on mine, topped that with the lentil stuff. Roll to enclose filling. Cut in half to serve.
  5. That's where the original recipe stopped. I tried it but the bread was a bit dry ! So ... I got out my handy dandy sandwich press and toated that puppy ! That made all the difference ! I enjoyed this lentil lunch ! I'll be having leftovers tomorrow ....


2 comments:

Liz M. said...

Say that one does not have a sandwhich press...what would one do about making it yummified? Add the hummus? Would the mighty chickpea make it less dry?

Bonnie said...

'twas the bread that was so dry. Perhaps hummus would help, yes. Or maybe a different bread. I think I will try lavash rather than lebanese next time. Might even be good in a tortilla. The ultimate though would be for one to go and buy oneself a sandwich press !!