Garlic Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters

Since I am now feeding the masses and chicken leg quarters is definitely the cheapest way to buy chicken, I've been looking for recipes that will add some variety to the bbq sauce or Italian dressing I had been seasoning the chicken with (both yummy...but I was getting ready for a change).  I found this recipe somewhere online (can't remember where!) and it was given a hearty thumbs up by the boys last night.  In parentheses are changes I made and the amounts I used to feed 7 (including 3 teenage boys) with a few leftovers for lunches.



Ingredients:

  • 4 (12) cloves garlic, finely minced (I used my nifty Pampered Chef garlic press)
  • 1 (3) teaspoon dried leaf oregano (I didn't have any, so used basil instead)
  • 1/2 (1 1/2) teaspoon salt
  • 1 (1 1/2 - PJ and I are what the Japanese call kitten tongues) teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 (1) teaspoon ground cumin (I love cumin and made up for the lower amount of chili powder here)
  • dash freshly ground black pepper (I used white pepper because I like it better)
  • 2 (6) tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 (12 - three family packs) chicken leg quarters
  • 1/2 (1 1/2) cup chicken broth (part dry white wine, if desired)

Preparation:

Heat oven to 425°.

Combine the garlic, oregano, salt, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Add olive oil and mix well. Use a mortar and pestle to make a paste consistency, or mash with a fork.  (I used a fork and it worked well)

Wash chicken leg quarters and pat dry. Snip off any excess skin (Glenn also cut the pieces apart). Arrange the chicken pieces in a baking dish and pat the garlic mixture over each quarter. (I spooned it on and then spread it around with my fingers) Pour 1/2 cup of chicken broth (part dry white wine, if desired) into the baking dish. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until juices run clear.
Serves 4 (or the masses!).

No comments: