Ham and Lentil Soup

I got a new crock pot this summer. One that actually works!! :) I love it.
I've been using it at least once a week on thursdays because we get home from cello lessons at FIVE and I need to have dinner ready and waiting. This week I made Ham and Lentil soup. I hesitate to post this picture. Lentils just aren't very pretty! But I LOVE to eat lentils. I have another lentil recipe that I love - curry lentils over rice. I'll have to post it sometime.


1 cup dry lentils
4 cups water
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp bottled minced garlic or 2 cloves minced
1/2 tsp lemon peel finely shredded
1 cup cooked cubed ham
1/8 - 1/4 cayenne pepper
2 cups chopped fresh spinach

Sort, rinse and drain the lentils. Add everything to crock pot except for spinach and ham. Cook on low setting for about 4 hours. Stir in spinach and ham before serving. (I cooked it with the ham - it gave the ham more flavor!)
The only thing I didn't like about this soup is that there wasn't enough leftovers for lunch today :(

No comments: